Sugar, every sweet tooth’s secret desire. Whether natural or artificial, there are hidden sugars in most of what we eat. Now, more than ever, we have embraced sugars and the different forms they wear.
Changes to the Nutrition Facts Label
The popular trend to provide clean labels and natural ingredients has hit sugars the hardest. The new Nutrition Label regulations provide that added sugars have to now be labeled. This is a good and bad thing. The good side is that consumers are now aware of the amount of sugars in the product they are using. The bad side, consumers will be even more wary of high sugar counts. To combat this, industries have been turning to more natural sugars instead of artificial.
- Glucose- One of the most well-known natural sugars. It is found is most foods, especially starches.
- Fructose- The common sugar naturally found in fruits.
- Sucrose-Commonly found in Sugar Cane. A mixture of glucose and fructose.
- Galactose-Similar to glucose.
- Lactose- The sugar commonly found in milk. Made of up glucose and galactose.
- Maltose-Commonly found in starches. Main sugar in fermented drinks. Made up of two glucose molecules.
Want a little extra sweetness in your day without the guilt? Try Edible Glitter. Made from natural ingredients.